• Breaking News

    Friday, September 4, 2020

    Guild Wars 2 My warclaw froze mid jump. Makes me wish we had a photo mode.

    Guild Wars 2 My warclaw froze mid jump. Makes me wish we had a photo mode.


    My warclaw froze mid jump. Makes me wish we had a photo mode.

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 01:32 AM PDT

    Showerthought: If we praise the lag on PoF maps, they might remove it and put it in the gemstore as an exclusive feature.

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:01 AM PDT

    edit: Thanks for the reddit gemstore awards!

    submitted by /u/__PM_ME_UR_NUDES__
    [link] [comments]

    That's an interesting MMO choice for your new mouse Razer!

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    Please replace the glowing-weapons trailer on the GW2 Steam store page with something else.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 01:55 PM PDT

    You can check out the Steam store page here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284210/Guild_Wars_2/

    I love this game and am really excited to hear it's coming to Steam this Fall.

    However, ArenaNet or NCSOFT, whoever is responsible for the store page, PLEASE don't "put your best foot forward" by putting the 'glowing-weapons-different-art-style-looks-like-a-mobile-game' trailer as the primary piece of video material.

    The first 13 seconds aren't bad, but after that..it's generic and if anything trivializes the game's style by shifting the focus to everyone's weapons that ALL glow, and come in a copy/paste assortment of 4 different glow colors.

    Instead, use some of the other trailers you already have, and even random video snippets or compilations! Here are some spitball ideas:

    Mount highlight - New Skimmer Mastery Trailer - Just remove the "August 25th that appears at the end", and I think this is golden. It's fun, highlights a unique mount, and shows off the in-game graphics. It even says "Dive Into Adventure" at the end!

    Festival Montage - Shadow of the Mad King(shows fun activities, good use of music), Festival of the Four Winds (shows fun activities, flying mounts, close ups of different races, diverse mobs, and good music), Wintersday (not quite as upbeat and fun, but you get the idea)...throw some of these together to really highlight the year-round festival experience!

    Tyrian Story Introduction - Even this trailer, from the release of GW2, though it's quite long, has some out of date graphics, and some weird focuses (like, why do Kodans have so much screen time? They aren't even a playable race...), is a great introduction to the Tyrian world! It showcases that special GW2 art style, and oh man, that artistic transition the painting version of Divinity's Reach to the in-game version of Divinity's reach? That was awesome! Draw people in with something like this, but a more up to date version.

    -------

    What makes an MMO special is the story, the world, the engaging mechanics and combat, and the lasting experiences that players have together as a community...not generically glowing weapons. Hook players with the special experience that GW2 can offer, and show off the unique fashion wars that it includes (which is NOT basic glowing weapons that only come in 4 colors)!

    Please, put your best foot forward with a more realistic depiction of the GW2 experience that can resonate with the people who are looking for a new MMO to fall in love with. Don't cheapen yourself.

    Edit: I saw a lot of people from other regions saying that they can't see the video on the Steam page, at the risk of circulating this video even more, here it is on Youtube.

    submitted by /u/Sockski
    [link] [comments]

    Not the most pleasant character to come back to

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    GW2 Activites Need Difficulties - Risk vs Reward

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:48 PM PDT

    So something that's been on my mind lately while getting back into the game with a friend, is that the 'difficulty' fluctuates so much from expac to expac, activity to activity, but the rewards tend to always 'feel' the same.

    I don't feel I'm getting much better rewards in the Boneskinner/Whisper strikes vs Shiverpeaks for example. I don't get much better rewards for killing VG vs killing Matthias. Meta events usually aren't too difficult and the 'best' ones to do are purely down to which have the highest gold farm potential - Serpents Ire doesn't give 'better' rewards than Palawadan despite requiring more investment.

    It's interesting to me that Fractals gets this right (T1 objectively less rewarding than T4) and yet the idea of 'selectable difficulty' is in no other activity. Raids, in my opinion, are an awesome activity but have been sidelined due to not enough of the player base engaging with them. Same goes for dungeons. I think what these activities need is selectable difficulty to tailor that risk vs reward factor. There's a reason WoW and FF14's raid model is so successful and continues to be a core content pillar - everyone can engage with them because they have a clear 'weekly loop', even if you aren't a top tier player. Typically, they have an ez pz 'normal' mode that can be matchmade with pugs, but give minimal rewards compared to the proper 'mythic' or 'savage' difficulties (which require a full party). I feel like GW2's raids sit almost at that 'savage' difficulty, but that is the only way to play them, there's no smooth introduction to the experience.

    It's bizarre to me that Anet would go out of their way to develop an ENTIRE new activity (Strikes) as a stepping stone to raids. I feel like if the potency of raid boss mechanics/attacks were just lowered a lot to not be so punishing but had a clear weekly loop involved (even just magnetite shards to cap out for the week?), they'd see much more overall engagement and could be a primary piece of content for Anet to develop for. They would essentially be Strikes. You'd have the current difficulty for legendary collections, unique ascended drops, etc but the 'normal' mode for the everyday player that just wants an intro to raids. Really hate to see that content go to waste. I feel Strikes have a pretty great daily/weekly loop with their shards system, but they have no risk vs reward factor to up the stakes for better rewards. They could perhaps each do with a 'hard mode' for coordinated groups, with increased % drop rate on the rare drops and perhaps even some unique loot. In the same vein, Destiny 2 have activate-able 'heroic' modes for their public events which had just a little spice for increase 'exotic' drop chances and I feel GW2 would perhaps benefit from a similar system with meta events.

    I also feel like GW2 either has a lot of rewards that drop in spades (Boxes, crates, bags, unid equipment, etc) or rewards that drop basically never (infusions, Visage of Khan Ur, etc) and that's fine, but I think the game would benefit from more unique cool drops that sit more around the '5% - 15% drop rate range' within harder activities.

    TL;DR - risk vs reward is almost non existent in GW2 where almost every activity has its own 'baked in' difficulty but the rewards do not scale accordingly. These activities could benefit greatly from a selectable difficulty (easier mode for raids, challenge mode for dungeons, etc) that have a clear weekly completion loop, as well as the 'difficult' modes having some unique rare-but-not-never-dropping-ever loot. This would hopefully drive engagement up for these modes and allow Anet to focus development on new raids, dungeons etc with each expac or LW drop.

    submitted by /u/AustronautHD
    [link] [comments]

    Long time lurker to this subreddit, Finally got my first legendary, Sunrise!!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    Do you like the idea of having more weapon skills added to the game?

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    False Advertising or am I just an Idiot? (GW2 Anniversary Sale and The Icebrood Saga)

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 11:39 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I started played GW2 around 2014 if I remember correctly, and I only played it for about a year so before I left it behind for other games. Recently I decided to come back to the game and I thought "what a better time than now?" with the current anniversary sale going on. I read a few comments from people and some argued that the living world stuff was necessary/desirable and others said it was not so important. I thought both perspectives were valid but I wanted to experience everything the game had to offer again so I could get caught up with everything.

    Others had noted that I had to buy the individual stories with gems (not a big deal for me- I get it) and that future stories are free as long as you login in during the time of the stories release. With all of that in mind, I decided to get the $80 Ultimate version to get everything I needed to get caught up with the story, extra bank storage, bag storage, etc.

    Here is what is included in the $80 Ultimate Edition:

    • Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire
    • Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
    • Living World: The Icebrood Saga
    • Max-Level Boost
    • Additional Character Slot
    • Identity Repair Kit
    • Sunspear outfit
    • Lily of the Elon Permanent Pass
    • 4000 Gems

    Anyways, I get more or less everything unlocked or put into my inventory/account immediately. The gems later arrived after 72 hours (which they noted in the confirmation email). However, the one thing that has yet to be applied to my account was the "Living World: The Icebrood Saga." Now, I have three level 80s and I can see the Icebrood Saga in my story menu, however, I still have to purchase each individual story/episode. I thought, and maybe I am dumb for thinking this, that with purchasing the game I would actually receive/see/use everything on this list including the Icebrood Saga. I thought that buying this would unlock all of the current Icebrood Saga stories/episodes, however, that does not appear to be the case.

    I sent an email to GW2 support about the issue thinking that it was simply a mistake on their part. I told them about my situation, gave a screenshot of the episodes still needing to be purchased, and provided proof of my purchase. Also, my friend recently purchased the game during the sale and is also experiencing the same issue. I did not think much of it until I received an email response from them (after 3 days) this morning.

    This is what they said:

    Hello,

    Thank you for contacting Guild Wars Support.

    Path of Fire is required to access any episode from Icebrood Saga, including Visions of the Past. Additionally, the same is true of Living World Season 4; similarly, Heart of Thorns is required to access Living World Season 3.

    I hope this helps explain things. Please let me know if you need help with anything else.

    Regards,

    GM Ultra Viper

    Guild Wars 2 Support Team

    http://help.guildwars2.com/

    So my question is, why has everything else on that list been given to me but the Icebrood Saga? It is really frustrating and borderline false advertising in my opinion as I am someone who is returning to the game and wants to be fully invested in everything it has to offer. Why list a feature of the game as if it were something that would be given/unlocked to me?

    I know this might not seem like a big deal for some people here but I just wanted to bring this to the attention of those who are considering purchasing the game (regardless of it is on sale or what version you buy).

    Edit: There are a lot of people in here actively trying to defend Anet and GW2 for this and I am not sure why that is. I am not asking people in the Subreddit to boycott or cancel the game we all love playing. All I am saying is that this is borderline false advertising and is more deceptive if anything. Something that is given to me/I unlock later, this being the Icebrood Saga, should not be listed among things that I get immediately. This post serves as a basic criticism and a warning to those who may think they are getting the previous episodes of the Icebrood Saga. In order to fix this, Arenanet should change the language in the advertisement. That is all it is.

    Both of these people offer a good and reasonable response:

    u/ShinigamiKenji

    This is not exactly false advertising but is borderline that.

    I noted in a previous post that it should be phrased like this:

    Play the latest episode of "The Icebrood Saga" for free*

    and put somewhere visible without needing to hover your mouse

    *Additional episodes require in-game purchases

    This would go a long way to make people feel less cheated. The marketing team doesn't seem to realize that this loss of trust is way more harmful than any possible profit from LW purchases, especially in a game that survives on continuous gemstore purchases.

    u/mylomilk

    Basically what it's trying to say is that you unlock the option to play them, by purchasing the expansion. You may already "own" some episodes (by logging in when they released), so you can play them immediately, but for the rest you have to pay the 200 gem price. You couldn't play them without having Path of Fire even if you wanted to pay the 200 gem price.

    It is definitely borderline false advertising. You don't see them include living world season 3 or 4 on that list, despite those working exactly the same as icebrood saga.

    I'll also add you are not the first person to be confused on this. I've seen this question quite a few times both in game and on reddit before. For a new player to understand about the peculiar nature is pretty much impossible. If you thought buying the ultimate edition will give you the most recent couple of "DLCs", then sadly they haven't made it this way. In fact the accessibility of past living world episodes have been quite a pain point and big barriers of entry for new players, it was often brought up by the community and hopefully in the future, (maybe with steam release) Anet at least present an option to include all living world episodes up to date in one of the more pricier editions of the game.

    submitted by /u/Bababooey4000
    [link] [comments]

    It's me, from the future : I already unlocked Paragon spec

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    Dumb question about support roles

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 08:52 AM PDT

    Recently got into GW2, just playing for free while I decide if I like the game enough to put dollars into it. I was just curious if there's a good build for pocket support? Like if I wanted to follow someone around in WvW and just heal / buff them while they beat on people. I'm still getting a feel for classes, but I was kinda looking for something as similar as possible to pocket healing in WoW.

    submitted by /u/Buggygames
    [link] [comments]

    Mesmer - PvP Chrono/ Power

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 08:10 AM PDT

    Hey guys I watch a lot of Shorts and I really like his chrono power mesmer gameplay (https://youtu.be/EgYgqUx01pY) but holy shit I dont get what he is doing! :D I watched his new video guide but he is just talking about the mirage Build. So do you guys now his main combo or give me some advices how to play it? Maybe a good opener?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Ednet132
    [link] [comments]

    Why are people so fixated on the idea of Thief getting Assassin elite spec? ����

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:41 PM PDT

    I dont understand why people so fixated on the idea of thief getting Assassin elite spec.

    When you think about it, Thief in GW2 is already the GW1 Assassin. The thing that stood out about the Assassin in GW1 was their unique "Main/Off Hand/Dual Attack" combat mechanics.
    But that don't work in GW2 with the way weapons work in this game compared to the first game.

    And technically Thief already has a variation to this with their main hand weapon, off hand weapon and dual skills.

    Pretty much everything Assassin can do, Thief already does. I dont see the appeal of getting an Assassin elite spec and having to wait 3 to 4 more years for the next elite spec to come out.

    Elite specs are supposed to shake things up about how classes play. But what exactly is different about Assassin than the Thief? What the lore perhaps? Well that play no role on the gameplay outside of roleplaying circles.

    Thief getting Assassin Elite Spec is the equivalent of Revenant getting Legendary Revenant Rylock as a Elite Spec Legend. Pretty much getting a new elite spec that is pretty much is the same thing that you already are.

    Whats the appeal in that?

    submitted by /u/Knighthonor
    [link] [comments]

    Maximum Passive Health Regeneration, for science! - help needed

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    TL;DR questions at the bottom but please bear in mind the rules I've set below.

    I'm attempting to make a maximum solo health regen build for science, and showcase this with a video. As such I don't care about viability in actual play. The goal is to create the maximum amount of SOLO health regen possible.

    So the rules are:

    1 - standing still

    2 - no dodging

    3 - no weapon swapping

    4 - not activating any skills (although passive abilities are fine once activated as long as it doesn't need manually refreshing more than once every 3 minutes).

    5 - no relying on other players for passive regen or boosts to healing power (e.g Guardian's virtue of resolve , Ele's frost bow, etc)

    As this is a solo goal, not interested in ally buffs that would increase my healing power. Has to be self reliant. Also not interested in healing power to others, only myself.

    So far I have come to the conclusion that Herald with Facet of Light has superior regen potential compared to other classes due to the stacking healing power effect on the regeneration boon, as well as the 20% boost to regeneration from Elder's Respite. With Facet of Chaos running with Steadfast Regeneration trait this gives even more passive regen.

    If someone could confirm this is the best class for this test before I waste more gold on worthless armor, weapons and trinkets, that would be great. :)

    I'm running full clerics exotic, until I can confirm there isn't a definite better option before making ascended gear to maximise the healing output. Am I also correct in assuming that exotic trinkets are better than ascended due to being able to slot in upgrade components?

    TL;DR

    So my questions are:

    1 - which sigils are better, benevolence or life for self healing? Or something else?!

    2- are runes of dwayna the best runes for this goal for the +20% boost to regeneration? Or dolyaks? Or something else?!

    3 - is rev the best class and is ascended clerics the best option?

    4 - is exotic trinkets with exquisite sapphire jewel better than ascended?

    5 - which is better, delicious rice bowl, or sesame fruit salad (with the gain health every second) better for self healing? Or something else?!

    6 - which is better, holographic super drumstick or bountiful maintenance oil for self healing?

    And if there's anything else I've not considered, please let me know!

    submitted by /u/Xexitar
    [link] [comments]

    Dying too much i need suggestions on how to improve

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    Hello. Came from a 3 year break and recently bought the expansions. As much as i love the content i feel like i'm dying too much. HoT mobs hits hard but since i can burst them down with my ele, it doesn't feel like too much of a problem. My main problem is instanced content like fractals. I am equipped with full zerker gear(rings, chest piece and scepter is ascended) and my armor is slotted with scholar rings. I don't feel like i am lacking damage but i am dying a little too easy. Playing other MMO's, my way of avoiding damage wa simply do not stand in red circles. But it doesn't work in this game. Feels like most of the mobs have some sort of cleave on their attacks, aggro is also another problem since there are no dedicated tanks in the game. It just feels like i don't have a good grasp of how the combat works. Do i need to position extremely safe at the cost of losing damage? Getting close to any mob, even if someone else has the aggro, usually ends up me lying on the ground and i am wondering what i'm doing wrong exactly.

    submitted by /u/JhaoVIG
    [link] [comments]

    [Forgotten maps] The PvP Game Browser and Team Deathmatch need a bit of love

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 07:02 AM PDT

    When you talk about PvP in GW2, most people talk about 5v5 Conquest. However, there are three other game modes, which barely get any attention at all. These game modes have maps that are not widely available, and some of them can't even be played at all unless some player decides to host them on a paid private server.

    The goal of this post is to analyze these forgotten PvP maps, and find ways to make them more accessible.


    First of all, let's start by describing the current situation in detail, since I'd wager most people aren't even aware of it.

    There are two main game modes, with four submodes:

    • Standard Mode: Victory is achieved by score. The team who reaches the score limit first (usually 500 points) wins the match. Standard Mode is divided in three submodes: Conquest, Murderball, and Stronghold.
    • Arena Mode: The match is divided in various rounds. Whoever wins more rounds wins the match. Arena Mode only has one submode, Team Deathmatch.

    There are four ways to experience PvP freely:

    • Public Arena: There are 100 public servers, following a numeral name convention, from Server 001 to Server 100. All of these servers host the same setup of maps, which include all Standard Mode maps except Courtyard (Murderball) and Djinn's Dominion (Conquest). All servers are 5v5 (they were 8v8 years ago) and there are no public servers for any Arena Mode maps. Players can either play or spectate.
    • Custom Arena: These are player-owned public/private servers. Starting one costs 200g and includes 30 days of playtime. Each additional day costs 2g. If you run out of playtime you lose the custom arena and need to pay 200g to start over again. The owner can host any of the 15 available maps, with any number of players and rounds, enabling or disabling spectators freely as well.
    • Unranked Arena: Instead of joining a server with variable population, you queue for a single automated 5v5 match. Maps are voted by the players, and include all Standard Mode maps except Courtyard (Murderball). Players also have an option to restrict their queue to Conquest or Stronghold maps only.
    • Ranked Arena: Same as Unranked Arena (excluding Spirit's Watch and Stronghold), except your performance affects your Skill Rating, determining your position on the ladder. If a season is active, you also gain progress in the PvP League Reward Track. If the season is classified as a mini-season, the Standard Mode maps will be replaced by the Arena Mode maps (except Courtyard).

    Here's an image displaying the above data more efficiently.


    The first problem is that public servers have a far too limited selection. If you aren't lucky enough to find a custom arena with the maps you want, you won't be able to play them altogether. The situation is specially bad for Murderball and Team Deathmatch.

    So, why don't we redistribute those 100 public servers between the existing game modes? Maybe go even further, and give each map its dedicated group of servers. Something like this:

    • 20 public servers for all Standard Mode (Conquest, Murderball, and Stronghold) maps on rotation.
    • 20 public servers for all Arena Mode (Team Deathmatch) maps on rotation.
    • 3 public servers for each map of the above modes, for a total of 3 x 15 = 45 servers. Note that Courtyard has two versions, each for a different submode (Murderball and Team Deathmatch).

    This gives us a total of 85 servers, with 15 free, which could be removed altogether. Most public servers are empty all the time anyway, so nothing of value would be lost.


    The second problem is that there's no off-season queued option for neither Murderball nor Team Deathmatch. Meanwhile, Unranked and Ranked are virtually the same, except for Skill Rating progression.

    So, what if we remove Unranked, and replace it with a new Ranked category for Arena Mode maps? Skill Rating progression would always be active, so those wanting to play without risking their personal score would have to move to public arenas instead. This might seem like a bit punishing at first, but considering the low numbers Ranked sometimes has, it would help merging it with Unranked to keep the population healthier, specially in the lower spectrum.

    The end result would be two new buttons, replacing Unranked Arena and Ranked Arena:

    • 3v3: Covering Team Deathmatch maps.
    • 5v5: Covering Conquest, Murderball, and Stronghold maps. Filters available to queue for only one of the submodes or the three at once.

    During an active season, the map pool would be restricted to league maps only, meaning only Conquest maps would be available during the 5v5 season (no Murderball and no Stronghold).


    The third and final problem, somewhat unrelated but not, are activities. They use the PvP instance system, but are isolated from the PvP Game Browser, and unavailable for Custom Arenas.

    For those who don't know, there are four non-seasonal activities, which follow a daily rotation:

    • Crab Toss
    • Sanctum Sprint
    • Southsun Survival
    • Keg Brawl

    So, how about including them as a third category, besides Standard and Arena, with their own public servers? It would make playing with friends easier, and allow custom arenas to host their own activity tournaments as well. Following the same model as before:

    • 10 public servers for each Activity Mode map on rotation, for a total of 10 x 4 = 40 servers.

    Which would give us a total of 85 + 40 = 125 servers. No idea what's behind the server structure for activities, but it seems to create instances on demand. Said system would be replaced by the fixed server system of Public Arenas.


    And that would be it. Somewhat simple changes that would make PvP a far better experience than it is now, specially for new players and organized groups.

    PS: As a final note, the filter section of the PvP Game Browser hasn't been updated since 2015, which means it's missing half the maps. Would be nice if it was updated.

    PS2: Same thread at the official forums.

    submitted by /u/Lon-ami
    [link] [comments]

    Does your server matter at all outside of WvW?

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    Does the server you play on matter at all in this game? I've read that it does not? Why is there a 'guest' feature then, I'm not sure what that accomplishes. Do players on 'full' servers generally load into more densely populated areas than the players on the lower population servers?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/InnocentAddict
    [link] [comments]

    After 679384930 tries this...I died inside a bit

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Need help finding a PvP build that suits me

    Posted: 04 Sep 2020 08:08 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I used to play GW2 but took a long break, so you might as well consider that I am a new player.

    I have looked at godsofpvp and metabattle, but to be honest I am a bit overwhelmed. Since my PC just broke and I won't be able to play and test things at least for the next 4-5 days, I though I'd ask here and maybe you can help me.

    Please tell me what builds/classes you enjoy and why?

    If I know why you fell in love with a build I might fall in love with it too.


    Here are things I am looking for so maybe you can give me a few build suggestions:

    • Balance between teamfight potential and the ability to 1v1.

    • As little reliance on support as possible (I solo queue and most games don't have a support)

    • No favour of the month builds (I don't want to play something that is very OP now and is almost guaranteed to get nerfed into oblivion in the next balance patch)

    • Builds that can finish downed enemies to clean up fights (either through high cleave or with safe stomp tricks)

    • If possible builds that can somehow deal with thieves, either by being able to rotate fast or by being able to kill them (I think they are the most annoying class to play against)

    • Bonus points if the same build can be used for WvW solo or small scale roaming (up to 5 people)


    If possible when you suggest a build I would like to know what counters they have. In all the guides I have seen the strenghts of the builds are often explained, but they almost never talk about their weaknesses.

    Thank you for the help!

    PS: I appologize if I take too long to reply. Typing on mobile is a slow and painful procees.

    submitted by /u/QuagganOfCaerbannog
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment