• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 8, 2021

    Guild Wars Guild Wars History / Nostalgia Video - EP vs. EvIL

    Guild Wars Guild Wars History / Nostalgia Video - EP vs. EvIL


    Guild Wars History / Nostalgia Video - EP vs. EvIL

    Posted: 07 Jul 2021 07:37 PM PDT

    Hey folks.

    While searching I just came across a video of Eternum Pariah [EP] vs. The Last Pride [EvIL], back in the early Prophecies era when EP was the #1 ranked guild and EvIL (along with War Machine) were the up and coming guys from Korea.

    I don't know when exactly this was played, but if I recall correctly it was part of a major tournament. Basically EP got absolutely thrashed by the Korean team, which led to a major paradigm shift in the way the game would be played from then on out.

    At the time the metagame was spike: ranger spike, air spike, mixed spike, etc. EP ran a very interesting build which performed very well in this meta... they had 2 Mo/Ns with Offering of Blood for energy, plus vampiric gaze to add further spike damage. They had a necro spiker with Blood is Power, which was necessary to help power their ace in the hole: a Life Barrier monk. With the help of cover enchantments, this barrier monk gave them a huge amount of protection against other spike teams. It worked wonders in the beginning, and propelled them to being the #1 ranked guild for a good period of time. If you're interested in seeing how it worked from a first-person view with ventrilo chat and everything, I made a post with some videos from the era here.

    As I mentioned in the other post, I got the chance to play with EP well after their decline, and I have to say there wasn't much that was special about them. I think their best player, iirc, Tastes Like Own, went on to do bigger and better things in Guild Wars. My impression looking backwards is that he was probably the glue that held them together, and without them they were just a bunch of kids who played the spike metagame well.

    But when it came to The Last Pride and other Koreans like War Machine, it was a totally different ballgame. These guys were playing on another level. They invented split / ganking tactics, which meant that instead of engaging EP's spike build 8 on 8, they would split off a few players and go attack the base and the guards. In order to be effective EP needed all 8 of their players together, whereas EvIL's build allowed for each player or squad to be strong in its own right. It also allowed for more tactical playing apart from just "3, 2, 1". The results are obvious in the video: EvIL absolutely wrecked EP. No competition whatsoever. EP quit Guild Wars after this, and despite a minor and unsuccessful comeback a couple years later, they never did much more with the franchise. No idea where they are now.

    For any of you who were around in Prophecies, you'll remember that this series between these two guilds marked, as I mentioned before, a paradigm shift in the way GvG was played. After this spike builds grew out of favor and it became all about balanced builds that were able to split and play tactically. While I very much enjoyed the spike era, I think it was a welcome change that opened the door to much more creative and inspired play.

    Hope you enjoy. If you have any info I missed, please feel free to share!

    submitted by /u/shortyafter
    [link] [comments]

    Easter egg some NPCs have have heart boxers: What are some other Easter eggs/ weird stuff you've seen?

    Posted: 07 Jul 2021 11:26 PM PDT

    As an Elementalist, if I know I will be taking piercing damage should I take +10 armor vs piercing or -2 while enchanted on my shield?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 12:04 AM PDT

    Let's say i have 60 base armor + 8 from shield, will 10 additional armor be better than -2 from hits (given I'm always enchanted)?

    submitted by /u/3xploitr
    [link] [comments]

    Bonus packs success

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 01:15 AM PDT

    Hey all - just wanted to share because I am stoked! Bought a EoTN preorder box last week( seller wasn't sure if code was used) for super cheap. Figured it couldn't hurt. Code worked, and I got my 3 pre-order bonus weapons!!! Been searching forever and really lucked out. My gf doesn't get it but I am very happy hahah

    submitted by /u/gavanize
    [link] [comments]

    Suche eine deutsche Gilde

    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 04:15 AM PDT

    Eine Gilde mit paar deutschen Spielern geht natürlich auch.

    Wäre stark, wenn sich da was finden lässt.

    submitted by /u/YonkoMu
    [link] [comments]

    Returning player looking for a non-Barrage bow build. Open to meme builds and off-meta

    Posted: 07 Jul 2021 12:52 PM PDT

    So after playing as a Dragonhunter in Guild Wars 2, I decided to return to the original Guild Wars and make a ranger to try and make some kind of bow build. I'm completely carried by my heroes (mesmerway or something) and I don't feel like I can either contribute to damage or find any fun in the builds that are on PvX Wiki as they're mostly farming or PvP builds. I don't have the reflexes for an interrupt build so that's not an option

    I'm fully aware that dagger spam or beast master is better than bow but I just wanted to play with a bow build. I'm also open to go Ritualist to use the anniversary flatbow, or any other profession for that matter

    I'm starting from (kind of) new so I haven't done War in Kryta, Winds of Change or Hard Mode, but will eventually get around to doing that. Not planning on doing Underworld/Urgoz/etc (I have past memories of these being difficult), just want chill gameplay

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/GoingMenthol
    [link] [comments]

    Was looking at the 3 energy surge 7 hero part on PVX

    Posted: 07 Jul 2021 11:36 AM PDT

    Couple questions: 1) how good is that for vanqushing/filling out HM missions? 2) if I was going to run a 7 hero party with a mesmer, would I use this one and just add an extra of the variables it gives at the end, or would I run a different party altogether? (The one I am currently using is my rit main) 3) does anyone remember a 3 necro 7 hero party, PVX doesn't have it anymore, but wanted to compare it to this if anyone remembers and wanted to have it to finish haha (I know it ran BiP, Aura of the Lich, and Spiteful Spirit, but that last one might have been a temp until I got the actual Elite skill it called for, that I do not remember)

    submitted by /u/DeadHead6747
    [link] [comments]

    LF guild/players who are familiar with using heroes in elite HM zones, without consets/Shadow Form, to discuss builds/strats with

    Posted: 07 Jul 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    I recently started playing for the first time in over 6 years and I'm wondering if the meta developed, if any new & strong builds were found, and so on.

    I'm looking for people who have used heroes in elite HM zones - here meaning nothing easier than Slaver's Exile HM - without consets or Shadow Form to discuss builds/ strats with. Examples of things I want to discuss are:
    - Why would anyone use a Keystone Signet Mesmer (there's a template on PvX) instead of the standard Dom Mes?
    - How good is the Mes minion bomber, especially relative to the Necro version?
    - Which group should you pull first in the third room of Foundry HM?
    - etc.

    I use an Elementalist primary so I would prefer discussions focused around the caster playstyle, but melee is fine also. I prefer to talk in-game (my IGN is Jeydra Eventar).

    Let me know if interested.

    submitted by /u/Jeydra
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment